Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Track List - #totalrequestride, Wednesday, June 25, 2014

1. Capitol - Trust
2. Birthday - Katy Perry
3. The Writing's On The Wall - OK Go
4. Sissy That Walk (remix) - RuPaul
5. What I Like About You - The Romantics
6. Love Runs Out - OneRepublic
7. Why Don't You Love Me (remix) - Beyoncé
8. Wild Wild Love - Pitbull featuring G.R.L.
9. Cuba - Gibson Brothers
10. Save Somebody's Sunshine World (mashup) - DJs Mashup-Germany featuring Richard Marx, Counting Crows, Kings Of Leon, Swedish House Mafia & John Martin
11. She Looks So Perfect - 5 Seconds Of Summer
12. How Will I Know - Sam Smith (acoustic cover of Whitney Houston)
13. Stay With Me (live) - Sam Smith featuring Mary J. Blige

Three people on their phone in class this morning. Two people carrying on a conversation during what is supposed to be an intense hill. And the mic wasn't working so I was having to yell over the music. I'm not complaining. I'm just stating the facts. As an instructor, it is so challenging to motivate and challenge riders to begin with. Then having to overcome the added obstacles created by people who either don't really want to be there in the first place and are not concerned with reaching toward or obtaining individual goals or are just so oblivious to the people around them who are really trying to make a difference in their lives...a positive change in their mental and physical well-being, is an obvious challenge that really shouldn't be present. I am not that upset about these occurrences, but some riders did complain to me after class. It is my job as an instructor to provide a ride that is challenging and fun. It is my job to create an atmosphere that is supportive, encouraging and motivating. It is also my job to create an environment that contains the least amount of distractions to all of the riders as possible. I am limited to what I can do and say in a class. I try to limit my comments in such situations to very general statements that will make the "offenders" realize that they are not being conducive to creating a positive energy in class that is beneficial to each individual rider and to the collective group as well. And I know that those of you reading this are probably not the ones who really need to read this and take something away from this post. However, I just want to put it out there (and feel free to share this), that in a group fitness class, you are just that, part of a group. Yes, you are there to get the most out of your own individual workout that you can. But, and many probably do not realize this, as part of a group fitness class, you are also responsible for NOT creating a disruptive or distractive environment. Lately, I have begun to talk some about this responsibility of individual riders in class. And I am not talking in class (or even writing this post) to punish or embarrass anyone. I just want to emphasize that everyone has the power to make a difference in a group fitness class. Everyone. Every single rider. So I want to take this moment to strongly encourage every single rider in a group fitness indoor cycling class to fully commit to accessing that power, There are many ways to do it. I mention the commitment to the three basics: 1) form, 2) pace, and 3) resistance. Then I also mention the inclusion of a fourth element primarily for experienced and fully healthy riders, 4) movement. When you focus and fully commit to the three basics and possibly the fourth part of a successful ride, you automatically create that positive energy that fills the room. It creates a place where individuals feel free and even encouraged to push themselves more than they thought possible without having to deal with negative energy, distractions or disruptions by riders that are not focused, don't care or are choosing not to participate in the class as directed by the instructor. I love being an instructor. The good and the help that I can achieve in others makes being an instructor so very rewarding. And even with the situations in class this morning, I know that there were still so many very focused and inspired riders that really did achieve a lot from a very fun and challenging class. So to those riders, as well as the many that I see everyday, six days a week, I say thank you! Thank you so very much for providing me with the opportunity to make an improvement in your health and well-being, both mental and physical. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

In good health,

tommy

No comments: