Wednesday, January 31, 2007

New Year Resolutions 2007


First of all, I want to wish everyone a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year. I am so grateful to be able to do what I do. I have been teaching indoor cycling classes for over 8 years! I love it. I love music. I love working out. I love people. Teaching indoor cycling allows me to bring all of these things together. I get to play dj 6 times a week. I get to have an intense workout and have fun while doing it. And one of the most rewarding things of all, I get to help others. I can't express how blessed I am to have the opportunity to help even one person lose that extra pound they put on over the holidays or that they need to lose for that next big role, to help even one person strengthen their heart muscle and increase their lung capacity, to help even one person choose to not pick up that cigarette. To be able to help others in such a personal and specific way is amazing. I never take it for granted. I say it all of the time, but I mean it every time I say it - I am so grateful for everyone that takes my class. And I am so proud and impressed when I see clients work so hard. And it makes me so happy when I see them having fun while doing it!

As we enter the second month of the new year (already!), I want to encourage all of you who made new year resolutions to stay committed. It is so easy to get discouraged. It is so easy to be disappointed when desired results take longer than we hoped. Let's make a deal. If you try to re-dedicate yourself to your goals, aspirations, resolutions, then I will try even harder to make my classes more beneficial and fun. Deal? I'm up for it if you are!

I've developed a method of preparing for and teaching classes over the past 8 years. I try to make the class challenging. I stress the importance and necessity of proper form. I work to integrate a variety of types of music so that the end result is a class that is intense, easy to follow, challenging and even a little fun! I try to make the class accessible to those that are new to indoor cycling. At the same time, I try to make the class as challenging as possible for experienced riders. This is no easy task, but it is one that I am happy to undertake. The results and rewards are so gratifying.

So, if you've consistently taken my classes, I hope you have benefited from the experience. Even if the realization of your goals is not visible on the outside, I hope that you are proud of yourself for putting your mind to it and at the very least, attempting to obtain your goals. Your goals may be health-oriented. They may be directed at obtaining some type of physical change. You may be after a result that deals more with stress and relaxation. Whatever the case, I promise to help you get one step closer to making that dream become a reality.

Happy New Year! May you realize the best in 2007!

In good health,

Tommy Woelfel

2 comments:

emmers said...

hi, i found your blog while trying to put together my first spin class. I'm newly MadDogg certified, but I'm trying to make a powerful, new, and effective spin ride, or rather, a few classes worth to take me through the auditions & the first few classes, so that I can get the feel for what is effective as an instructor. Do you have tips? Or a template you use for rides? I spin all the time, but this is SO different!!

Thanks,
Emily
(emily.lebowitz@gmail.com)

Tommy said...

Congratulations on your certification! I am impressed by your approach! Keep up the good work! I have a basic format that I change up somewhat so that class doesn't get boring, but I try to make class as challenging as possible to experienced riders and as accessible as possible to new riders, and as safe, efficient and productive as possible for everyone. Yes, I thoroughly stress safety over and over, even while knowing that there are experienced riders in class. We can all use a reminder of proper form while working so hard! Best of luck to you!

In good health,

tommy