Saturday, November 08, 2014

Track List - Saturday, November 8, 2014

1. Weekend - Janet Jackson
2. All I Wanna Do - T. Mills
3. Life In A Northern Town (remix) - Dream Academy vs. Dario G
4. Melt With You - Modern English
5. We Can't Stop (remix) - Miley Cyrus
6. Molly - Cedric Gervais
7. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - U2
8. Rocket Man (remix) - Elton John
9. Secrets (remix) - Mary Lambert
10. I Melt With You - Modern English
11. Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
12. Don't Tell Me We Can't Stop (live mashup) - Madonna & Miley Cyrus

Well, this is a time for reflection. At least for me. See, this weekend, Sunday, November 9th, I turn 50 years old. Yikes! Many people don't like to talk about their age. This is Hollywood! You can't tell anyone how old you actually are! It is more important to let anyone that asks know what age range in which you could play! I've never really been that reluctant to talk about it. Until recently. Maybe it was that discussion with my personal trainer. The one where I mentioned the year that I graduated from high school. And realized that my trainer hadn't even been born yet. Ugh! So thanks to the amazing Zack for helping me learn more about those all important twitch muscles...both slow and fast...and fast 1 and 2! And for teaching me the effectiveness of explosive workouts! Yes, for the first time in my life, I hired a personal trainer. "5 Weeks To 50!" I finally admitted that I couldn't make the kind of changes that I wanted in my body on my own. I could use help. Yes, I have been a fitness instructor for 16 years (I started when I was 15!) But yes, I had become way too comfortable in my workouts. And we/I need to make changes in our workouts to obtain changes in our bodies. In our minds. In our outlooks. In our confidence. In our results. So yes, I tried to make some changes in my body in 5 weeks. By the time I turned 50. I did make some changes, too. Not drastic changes that are extremely obvious to the casual observer. But positive changes that I noticed. That I felt. "I want to see my abs by my 50th birthday!" Yeah, I said that. Who am I kidding? I have never had really defined abs in my whole life! Ha! How would I obtain that definition needed to see my abs in 5 weeks?!?! Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are! (yes, I'm quoting Larry the cable guy!) So yes I said that. But no, I didn't really mean it. Not really. Or when my amazing and beautiful husband wanted to do something special for my 50th. I didn't jump in wholeheartedly. I mean, don't get me wrong. I love a party. But one that celebrates my reaching the half century mark? Hmmm... I usually celebrate with an extra special spin class. And I still will. In a couple of weeks. I am going to combine my birthday spin with the annual Extra Special Christmas "Give the Shirt Off Your Back" Sexy Spin where I collect clothing for the youth program at the Los Angeles LGBT Center. There will be special music. Special prizes. Special guests. And of course, Sexy Santa. So make plans now to attend! (see what I did there? see how I still managed to promote my class as I am being reflective?) So, like I said, I have never really been one to be shy about my age. I really don't even like too much "touching up" in my headshots. I've always believed that the face that a casting director sees in the picture should be the same face that they should see when I walk through the door! (well, see how far that has gotten me...I mean..."We found your coat."...yeah, that line by Coat Check Guy on "Will & Grace" was the highlight of my television acting career...a highlight for which I am extremely grateful!) But it took a commitment by me to hire that personal trainer. I had to make a commitment to make a change. Funny, I have been talking in my classes for all of 2014 about making change. A positive change. Well, it was time I made that commitment in my own workouts. And I'm glad I did. And now, as I reflect, I realize that I am extremely lucky. I get to do something I love to make a living. Well, maybe not make a full "living." A partial living. Yeah. Like my granddad always said, "It's beer money!" That's what he called his oil income. Meaning he could use that money to buy beer. But he wasn't really a big beer drinker. Neither am I. I mean, if I drank much beer at all, I would be making the kind of changes that would change me right out of my 31-inch waist jeans! So, I do love teaching spin. And if I can make just one person happier in life. By reaching one of their fitness goals. By helping them change their outlook or self image. By encouraging them to have fun while working so hard on the spin bike attempting what so many call "torture". Then I have accomplished something. Something that I take very seriously and absolutely do not take for granted. And I consider myself lucky. I have an amazing and beautiful husband that always puts me first. I have two amazing twin 6-year old boys that keep me young. That keep me on my toes. That keep me guessing. That keep me questioning. That keep me laughing. Yeah, they do that a lot. And I have great family and friends. So, yes, I consider myself lucky. And I am grateful. And I am blessed. And I am happy. Am I doing exactly what I thought I would be doing when I set out to create my life 25 years ago? (again, I was 5!) No. But I'm doing what I love. I'm doing something good. And I'm good at it. So as I end this (long-winded...much like my talk in my classes) reflection, I want to say thank you to everyone in my spin classes. In my life. Today. Yesterday. Tomorrow. Thank you for letting me make a difference in your life. Thank you for making a difference in mine. Let's continue making a positive change as we head into the future! Whatever we do! And as always, in good health! tommy

No comments: